I just finished reading The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court by Bob Woodward and Scott Armstrong. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a better understanding of the Supreme Court. The book covers 1968-1975 which saw the death of Justice Black, retired Chief Justice Warren, and the resignations of Fortas, Harlan, and Douglas. Woodward is an excellent writer who made the cases seem alive even though they're almost forty years old.

It's also a fun read. At one point I was reading how Justice Douglas left the hospital (he had a stroke) and went shopping at Abercrombie and Fitch. All I could picture was an old man in the store as we know it today. I can't possibly imagine what the store was like back then.

2 Comments:

  1. Mia said...
    Oh, good...when I first read the title of your post I thought you were talking about a John Grisham book!

    Justice Douglas would certainly be amused by the changes in A&F store inventory, but just imagine if he saw the advertisements for the A&F we all know (and some of us love). That would be stroke #2 & back to the hospital!
    K said...
    That is why I thought it was so funny! Could you even imagine a Supreme Court Justice wearing anything from A & F?!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.